I flew into Denver, yesterday ... I am down here for business.
Even though it's a bit of a drive, I decided to stay at The Oxford, in downtown (LoDo to be precise) Denver. Great hotel, by the way ... Thet have done a great job updating this hitorical building. It has 80 guest rooms plus all other goodies that you'd get in the boring chain hotels. The service is absolutely fantastic and the rooms have plenty of space, so you don't feel cramped ... ah, and the antique furnitures in the rooms complement the overall look & feel of the hotel. Stay there, next time you are in Denver
A few things that stood out for me:
- Downtown Denver is much cleaner than downtown Seattle
- In the back Westword (Denver's local weekly newspaper ... not unlike Seattle's Stranger), you can see ads by Vodoo practitioners ... they mostly target couples with relationship problems, and sell themselves against therapists. Weird.
- Restaurants server later than Seattle Restaurants ... not unusual to see upscale restaurants serving until 11:00 p.m.
- This place is full of, mmm, adult Spas ... not that I am interested or was looking for them, but they are pretty widely advertised. Who would have thought of Denver as a sin city?
- Real Estate is cheap ... to us from Seattle, at least. You can pick up a very nice and roomy loft in downtown, with a view (of not sure what ... the mountains?) for $260,000! Of course, I saw houses for upwards of $1M too, but they seemed much larger that what you'd get in Seattle for that price.
- Last but not least, the ultimate comparison: There are only 21 Starbucks locations in denver .... Seattle has 71; however, Seattle has only about 50,000 more people than Denver !
Vodoo, sex, reasonable real estate, 115 days of sunshine, diverse population & cuisine, pretty decent public transportation and highway system ... Nah, I'll stick with Seatlle. Thank you very much.
If you are a stats junkie like me, click here to see a comparison between Seattle and Denver.